Even if you’re planning to go camping does not mean you have to compromise comfort when sleeping. Camping pillows, air mattresses and other sleep gear will help make your camping trip even more enjoyable, and today, we have the most comfortable mattresses and sleep equipment for camping.
It’s not easy to find pillows, mattresses and other accessories that are comfortable, practical and cost-effective. I’ve tried a lot of different sleeping items for camping and am confident that these six are way above the rest. If you’re camping or backpacking, there’s a product that works for you.
To get more details, head over to our buyer’s guides section. In this section, we address all your questions on how to select the most comfortable mattresses and sleep equipment for camping.
Three of the Best Mattresses to Camp on.
Enerplex Air Mattress
This Enerplex Air Mattress was designed for outdoor and indoor use. It’s constructed of rigid waterproof, puncture-resistant PVC plastic. To top it off, the plastic is the softcover for comfort.
The firmness of the mattress is adjustable depending on the amount you can inflate or deflate your mattress. In addition, inflation and deflation happen very quickly! The device can be inflated within less than two minutes. However, you’ll have an outlet to plug it into, which won’t be suitable for all camping situations.
- The puncture-proof PVS plastic makes this mattress water-resistant and long-lasting.
- It is possible to inflate the mattress slightly to soften or inflate it more to get more firmness.
- It’s easy to move on and provides excellent edge support, making it ideal for sharing with friends, partners, and family members.
- The perfect camping mattress Camping season is just around the corner for you, so this mat for sleeping is the ideal option for soothing relaxation in the wilderness or even as an additional guest bed. Bring it for your next trip.
- 2 min inflator – Don’t delay your breathing by blowing up your mattress; our camp air mattresses have an efficient pump that can inflate the air mattress in less than two minutes, meaning you can immediately begin your camping adventure
- PUNCTURE RESISTANT – Anything could occur while camping, so we designed this inflatable mattress using robust PVC material and welded seams that will not be damaged, even in the toughest of natural spots
- Carrier Bag Included There’s no need to let luxury go home with our queen and twin air mattresses. Our air mattress is ideal for being portable, with a bag that is included so that you can carry it comfortably wherever you go.
Intex Air Mattress
Intex is a firm that provides models explicitly designed for camping and additional extravagant models. Intex Air Mattresses have fibre-tech technology to reduce the chance of it rupturing if it is punctured if it is used outdoors.
The firmness can be adjusted because it is to inflate or deflate. It comes with an adjustable horizontal toggle that allows you to quickly and easily deflate and inflate the mattress. The Intex requires four hours and thirty seconds to fill up and around five minutes to deflate.
- The Fiber-Tech construction gives the mattress additional strength and should stop the mattress from leaking and popping for an extended period.
- It has a unique edge support system ideal for sleeping with your partner, friends, or family.
- Intex’s Air Mattress is a reasonably priced, comfy, high-quality product.
- The approximate inflation time is 2 1/2 minutes.
- The bed is encased with soft flocking to provide extra convenience, and the waterproof flocked top is raised 18 inches off the floor, with side seams that are indented to prevent the sheets you have fitted from sliding.
- The handbag is ideal for storage and transport.
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Dimensions: 39″ 75″ 18″
Check out the complete Intex review of the air mattress.
Coleman Air Mattress
Coleman has been a well-known brand since the early 1900s and is famous for designing everything camping, like this air mattress designed for outdoor and indoor use. The firm PVC will keep it from getting punctured inside a tent or outdoors. It’s also incredibly robust! It can be used for numerous camping trips in the future.It gives excellent Support and comfort for back and side sleepers. Because the firmness of this mattress can’t be adjustable, there will be better choices for stomach sleepers.
- The Coleman Air Mattress was created to be used outdoors and camping.
- It’s Coleman inflatable mattress is sturdy and affordable, making it a long-lasting, durable cost.
- It gives excellent Support and comfort for those who sleep on their backs and sides.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT Coil construction is shaped to body contours to provide better Support
- DOUBLE HIGH: The extra height helps in getting into or out a lot easier
- SOFT FEEL: Soft, soft top to provide greater ease of use. It is double-sealed for leak-proof
- Stable Support reinforced construction for increased stability
- LEAK-FREE: Dual-sealed valve eliminates leaks, ensuring firmness all night long.
- Dimensions: 78 x 60 18 inches. ; fits standard queen-size sheets
- SUPPORTS up to 600 pounds.
- EASY INFLATING It is compatible with Coleman Air Bed Pumps (sold separately)
- Integrated storage: for easy folding, rolling and storage; carry bag included
Check out the complete Coleman review of the air mattress.
2 of the Most Comfortable Pillows to Camp with
Best Ergonomic Camping Pillow – Nemo Fillo Pillow
Its Nemo Fillo pillow was designed to be small and compact, making it the perfect camping pillow. It has an ergonomic valve that allows you to fill the pillow in seconds. If it is not inflated, it will be compressed in size of the potato.
It’s also designed for ease of use and the user’s comfort. The pillow’s shape naturally covers your head to provide maximum Support. If you’re looking for more fluffy and a place to keep clothes and other items, the Nemo Fillo pillow is a perfect choice. Nemo Fillo pillow has the capacity of a stuff bag in which you can place clothing and, as is true to its name-stuff.
- Nemo Fillo Nemo Fillo has an ergonomic valve that allows you to inflate the pillow in a matter of seconds.
- The design is designed to naturally hug your head to give you the best Support.
- It is compacted into the dimensions of potatoes and can be used for travel.
- Upgraded – Our top-selling Fillo backpacking pillow has been updated to improve your sleeping and altitude with new and fresh fabric and an ergonomic valve, allowing you to fill the Fillo within a few minutes. The soft cover gives the sensation of luxury and cooling and can be washed to make it easier.
- Natural Support The 3″ I-beam baffled aircell reduces the “balloon” feeling of standard camping pillows and gives an organic shape that can hug your head. A thick, luxurious foam gives a comfortable and yielding feeling that resembles your home pillow.
- Integrated Storage The Fillo can be packed down to what the potato is. It’s lightweight and compact enough to be carried in the backcountry. The integrated stuffed sack will be recovered in the pack and inside your bag.
- Flexible – While the Fillo is awe-inspiring for backcountry adventures, it’s equally great for other outdoor adventures! It can be taken to an airport, on an extended road trip or used as Support for your lumbar region. The Fillo is now your most trusted companion.
The Best Camping Pillow Compressible – Thermarest Compressible Pillow
The Thermarest Compressible Pillow is a perfect blend of convenience and compactness. If you sleep, this pillow could expand to become a 4-inch thick cushion, but it will also reduce down with its drawstring and a cord lock to travel.
Although it’s not as compact as Nemo’s Nemo Fillo pillow, it’s hugely compressible with a weight of fewer than nine pounds. It’s also more comfortable than the Nemo, making it a better choice for those who prefer convenience and can fit more in their camping equipment.
- It’s comfy, yet it’s compressible.
- The cord lock and drawstrings ensure that the pillow is kept in a tight position when not used.
- Shaking or fluffing the pillow to get the most satisfaction is possible.
- Ultralight (9 ounces) compact travel pillow that has soft foam filling. It packs down to a small size for camping, plane travel and backpacking.
- Foam filling expands into a 4-inch thick pillow for the head, neck, and back Support in tents, cars, planes, and other tough-to-get-comfortable places.
- The compact design fits into a duffle bag, backpack or suitcase with a drawstring and cord lock. Ensures that the pillow is securely packed when not using it.
- The soft, brushed polyester cover feels against the skin to provide comfort. High-quality urethane fill comes from the upcycled waste from Thermarest mattresses.
- The pillow measures 14 x18 4 inches (14 5 six inches when compressible). It weighs nine ounces. Before usage, it is recommended to shake the pillow and then fluff to bring the loft back and loft; machine washable; produced in the USA.
Two of the Best Tools for Camping
Best Sleep Mask for Camping – Alaska Bear Sleep Mask
This Alaska Bear Sleep Mask was created for use on the road and also for blocking light. The compact and adjustable size makes it simple to carry for a camping trip as well as to be adjusted to accommodate a variety of dimensions people.
Because it’s made from Mulberry silk, it feels very comfortable against your skin.
Additionally, this mask is an ideal fit for any sleeping position. If you prefer sleeping on your stomach, back or side, the mask will remain comfortably on your skin.
- Alaska Bear Alaska Bear is black and blocks out nearly all light.
- The sleep mask is utilized in any position of sleep.
- Alaska Bear Alaska Bear can be easily cleaned at home with cold water and mild soap.
- Silk outer w/cotton inner
- An all-natural sleeping aid and a relaxing eye constructed using Grade 5A 100% organic Mulberry silk. Only the soft, smooth, skin-friendly silk provides the superb, breathable comfort of the soothing facial masks you can find in the most renowned spas. A sleep-inducing treat for men and women of all types of skin
- Anti-aging Silk has been found to reduce friction. This can help reduce pressure on wrinkled skin. It also helps to protect the delicate skin around your eyes, stopping marks that could create wrinkles.
- Ideal for dry-eye sufferers -An ophthalmologist told me that those unable to close their lids completely might experience parched eyes. Wear an eye shade on your eyelids and hold your eyes closed to ensure you don’t wake with painful, dry eyes.
- 100% Coverage and better Fit — A deeper or taller nose cutout will be more comfortable for all face contours without pressing noses with high bridges.
- A great addition to sleep supplements Silk fibres are more absorbent than poly satin, cotton or foam materials, so they can aid in keeping the pricey eye creams and moisturizing skin products exactly where it belongs and ensure that more skincare remains at your fingertips, which will save your money while giving you that glow before bed.
- COLORFAST and HYPOALLERGENIC Non-toxic, odourless dyes that are anti-irritation. There are no stains on the pillowcases.
- CPAP compatible, it is easier to work with other machines’ masks and headgear.
Find out our recommendations for the most effective sleeping masks.
Top Earplugs For Camping – Mack’s Slim Fit Ear Plugs
Mack’s slim Fit Ear Plugs are compatible with all ears and do a great job blocking any sound. The earplugs are cost-effective for camping and are small, so they can be ideal for packing into any backpack. The earplugs must be taken away after you’ve used them.
- Made from the urethane foam
- They are not cleaned and should be disposed of after they get soiled.
- An excellent choice for those with tiny or sensitive ear canals.
- Small earplugs are around 20 per cent smaller than Mack’s standard foam earplugs; these offer maximum comfort to small or sensitive ear canals.
- Maximum Comfort – Made with ultra-low-pressure, skinned and tapered slow-release foam providing unparalleled comfort and hygiene. Great for side sleeping.
- I hear protection – with an extremely high Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 31 decibels. These sound-blocking earplugs are ideal for sleeping and studying or shooting sports, power tools and travel, noisy events and more.
- Choose Mack’s, the name that doctors trust. America’s #1 DOCTOR RECOMMENDED BRAND Mack’s is the #1 Doctor Recommended Brand in America. Mack’s is the top Doctor Recommends Earplug Brand to safeguard your hearing or Prevent Hearing Loss.
- It is made in the USA and Proudly produced in the USA with high-performance, noise-reducing foam. Satisfaction guaranteed. The plastic jar is safe-sealed and comes with a convenient flip-open top to make it easy to dispense.
How to sleep better when camping
Sleeping well during your camping trip can make a difference to your camping experience. It’s essential to put thought into your sleeping gear to get a better night’s sleep during your camping trip. A few things that will help you sleep better include:
- Bring a small camping pillow
- Air-filled mattresses
- The proper sleep equipment, including ear plugs and a mask for sleep, and sleeping bags
What do you sleep on while camping?
What kind of camping trip determines the type of camping trip you’ll need to sleep on. Every camping experience is similar. Some camping excursions include intense backpacking through mountains, while others take place at a campsite for families that offers amenities that allow you to enjoy the outdoors.
If you are planning more adventurous camping adventures, you can rest on a tarp or mattress pad as a bag sits on top. It is not recommended to lie on the ground. If you’ve got additional space, you can bring an extra large mattress mat, or, for maximum comfort, it is recommended to use the air mattress. Air mattresses for camping can take up quite a bit of space, yet they’re one of the most comfortable alternatives.
How to Select a Mattress for Camp
If you are looking for mattresses for camping trips, there are a few essential things to keep in mind. The first thing to remember is that the equipment you purchase should be practical and small, making it simple to carry anywhere. It also needs to be comfortable. Since camping equipment can be costly, you must ensure that the gear you use for sleeping is within your budget.
When looking for a camping bed, many elements are considered. We’ve listed the most crucial factors below.
If your mattress is too soft or hard, it could result in resting in an uncomfortable position. At Mattress Clarity, we measure firmness on a scale ranging from one to 10. The industry standard, medium-firm, is at 6.5/10.
The excellent aspect of inflatable mattresses is they can alter their firmness. If your mattress isn’t sufficiently firm, you can put it in the air and make it stronger. If your mattress is hard, let the air out to soften it. Particular air mattresses, like the Enterplex Air Mattress and The Intex Air Mattress, make it easier to alter firmness over other mattresses.
Many air mattresses were not intended to be used outdoors. Specific models are more suitable for guests’ rooms or on trips to visit a house friend. If you take your indoor air cushion outdoors, it may be punctured by sticks. To ensure your mattress is affixed to nature, search for puncture-proof plastic (also known as puncture-proof PVC).
Air mattresses appear bouncy rather than soft, slow-moving. But regarding the feeling the mattress has, it may be concerned whether it has a soft cover on top of the mattress made of plastic. A soft cover can make the mattress comfier to rest on.
Particularly when camping, you must be aware of the steps to prepare and put off the air mattress. Particular air mattresses require an additional pump for inflating, and some come with an integrated pump. Others require plugging into an outlet to inflate the mattress, which can be an issue based on your camping area.
It’s also essential to consider the time it takes to deflate and inflate the mattress. The time it takes for air mattresses is between 2 minutes to more than 20 hours to inflate and deflate. Be sure that the mattress you purchase is compatible with the time it takes to put up and take it down during camping.
Naturally, you’ll want to consider your budget when looking for the best air mattresses. Air mattresses can range from low-cost to costly. In most cases, it’s unnecessary to spend money on the most expensive air mattress; however, you should choose one made to be used outdoors.
Air mattresses are sturdy than standard mattresses. Certain features may help ensure that they last longer, like the fact that they are puncture-proof features built into their structure.
How to Choose the Right Pillows for Camping?
I’ve tried using a balled-up shirt to make a pillow for on the road, and I can tell you that it’s only the best idea if you’re looking for your neck to hurt. Instead, buy a more minor, lightweight travelling or camping pillow. It would be best if you considered this when looking for a cushion for camping.
It would be best if you had a compact pillow that would fit wherever you are camping. Some features that will help make your pillow smaller include valves and drawstrings.
Particular camping pillows are designed to be lightweight and soft, while others have a more solid feeling. Check whether the pillow is made to assist your neck or is soft and flexible.
Construction is a significant factor in how a pillow is shaped and how small it can be. Sure, camping pillows are made entirely from memory foam. Others come with a stuff bag that you can use to store clothes to make the pillow easier to sleep in.
Other Sleeping Accessories for Camping
We’ve covered you if you’re searching for additional sleep tools in preparation for the next camping adventure! Wearing a mask for sleep or suitable earplugs will ensure you don’t wake awake by sound or light at the end of the night.
A sleep mask will help keep out the light to ensure you can sleep in time to be ready for the next adventure of your camping excursion. Opt for darker or black sleep masks if you’re worried about blocking the light source.
It is also essential to ensure that your mask is lightweight and straightforward to transport. Specific sleep masks come with tiny pillows in them, which could make them difficult to carry around. Try to find more miniature sleep masks that are small and compact. They are made of 100% cloth.
Getting suitable earplugs might be a great idea if you don’t want to awaken by loud noises in the middle of the night. If you’re looking for an ear plug, decide if you’d prefer them to be reusable or disposable that you can toss away when you’re done.
It’s also essential to examine how Ear plugs are made. Most earplugs have slimmer, more sleek designs that can be inserted into a range of types of ears and will block out noise effectively.
Let’s look at many of your most frequent questions about camping gear and sleeping bags.
What’s the most comfortable option to rest on while camping?
It all depends on your personal preferences and the type of camping adventure you’re planning to go on. If you have more storage space, An air mattress can be among the most comfortable things you can rest on while camping.
What can I do to improve the comfort of my tent?
It is possible to improve the comfort of your tent by purchasing sleep equipment made specifically for camping. Camping pillows, air mattresses, and other bedding accessories can enhance your sleep experience in your tent. Placing your camp on even ground instead of a rough or uneven one could improve the comfort of your tent.
What is the ideal air mattress to take camping?
It’s all about personal preference. If you’re looking at an air mattress, think about how compact it is, how much space it will need to deflate and fill, if it’s puncture-proof, and if it was used outdoors. The best air mattresses for camping are the Enerplex Air Mattress, the Intex Air Mattress, and the Coleman Air Mattress.
Are air mattresses a cause of cold while camping?
Although air mattresses make you sleep more cold compared to camping mattresses, proper insulation can ensure you sleep comfortably. If camping at an icy time of the year, you should consider purchasing an appropriate sleeping bag to withstand cold temperatures or another insulation-equipped sleeping gear.
Do I need an outdoor pillow?
Although you don’t require a pillow for camping, it can enhance your camping experience and make it more relaxing. A camping pillow will stop neck and head pains and assist you in sleeping better and ensuring you’re rested.
How to inflate an inflatable mattress on the go?
The most convenient solution is to get an electrical pump. Manual pumps could be an option. Air mattresses, however, must be connected to an outlet to inflate.